|A.K.A.||Northern Aluminum Company Limited / Aluminum Company of Canada / Algoods Inc / Alcan|
|Status||Active / Under Construction|
|Size||10 story tower, manufacturing plant & warehouse (7.5 acres)|
|Features||Huge crane, 1920's electrical panel / generator, Canada's first elevator|
AOTU Members present for exploration:|
Friends of AOTU present: None
Photographs by: Ignavus
| Start PicLens SlideShow |
Northern Aluminum opened in Toronto in 1902, and by 1919 it built this new, larger plant in West Toronto. At the time, the 10 storey industrial tower was one of the tallest structures in the city, as well as having the first elevator in Canada [speculated]. A foundry was later added in to the plant in 1937 and operations expanded. Over 60 years later (2000), Tower Automotive aquires Algoods Inc, which at the time made heat shields and impact discs for DaimlerChrysler. During 2005, the city of Toronto designates the 10 storey tower a heritage building, and Tower Automotive files for Chapter 11. The plant finally closes for good during 2006 and the machinery is auctioned in 2007. Castlepoint Development purchases the site and plans to turn it into major movie studio with Pinewood Studios Group as the primary tenant [still pending].
Angels Of The Underground. All Rights Reserved.